Eliza's 8th Grade Reading Blog

May 24, 2012

Essay 13


Respect, Thoughtfulness, and Being Careful
Three ways I have grown to become an eighth grade scholar
Pine Point School
8th Grade
May 17, 2012
Elizabeth Griffin
****************************************

Throughout this year as an eighth grader, I have fully developed as a student. I have transformed in many ways, but the changes I notice the most are that I have become increasingly respectful, thoughtful, and careful. By blossoming in these areas, my eighth grade year  has been rewarding.

I have changed this year through learning the full meaning of respect. In English class, we have been taught the kind way, the proper way, and the polite way  to act in class. In the beginning of each class, each student must hold the chair for the person on their left, then be seated, and remind one another to be  good scholars. From completing  this simple act of respect every day this year, I have learned that a little effort  can go a long way. I have also developed admiration for the literature that we have read. In the novel To Kill A Mockingbird, Atticus Finch, an older brave man, accepted a challenging court case and commanded respect throughout this difficult situation. By taking our time to read this exciting and thrilling book, I have gained a higher respect for books in general. Lastly, I have developed more appreciation for my fellow scholars. When in class, I have learned that if you look at the speakers while they are talking, it gives them a boost of confidence. All these acts have helped me become a more serious English scholar.
By growing as an eighth grader, I have become a more thoughtful person. One way that I have become progressively  mindful is by listening more attentively. In English class we use SLANTS, which is an acronym for sitting up straight, lean forward, nodding, tracking the speaker, and say back. By performing these behaviors every day in class, my brain naturally activates  my listening skills. Being a watchful listener, has helped me develop greater awareness for  my surroundings . This new skill, resulting in my understanding of literature and writing essays, has increased my achievements in Mr. Salsich’s class. I am also more alert to the points and ideas that my fellow scholars contribute. In addition, this year I have gained more confidence in and out of school, which helps me be more observant of other people’s feelings. From working with determination to complete perfect essays, I have realized if you try your hardest, and work on each assessment a little everyday,  you can achieve success.  In addition, I have had some support this year from my talented tutors, two very special women.  These women, Mrs. Fritzsche and Mrs. Champagne, boost my confidence because they keep telling me that I can do it, if I put my mind to it. From becoming a more thoughtful person, I have become a more conscientious learner.

Along with becoming a respectful and thoughtful person, I have also become extraordinarily careful. Studying the book we are reading, I have learned the right way to read a classic novel.  One way that I have become a cautious reader is by annotating each and every single page we read. This reading technique has forced me to understand everything I am reading.  Learning how to write picture perfect essays, can be challenging as well, but from this I have noticed that you have to take your time writing. To receive an A in English class, you need to  write an essay with absolutely no mistakes. In order to receive this grade, I have to take my time and look over my work very carefully to make sure I have done the very best that I can do. In addition to being careful in my writing , I am also extremely cautious in the words I choose. I try my best to make sure I do not repeat words, that I do not over use words, and that I do not place anything in my essay that is not needed.  This can be challenging sometimes, but I always find a way to make it happen, even if it is extremely hard to complete. Becoming a more careful person this year, I feel that I have done the best that I can do.
Being  respectful, thoughtful, and careful are all actions that have helped me tremendously throughout my eighth grade year. Applying these words each day in school, I feel that I have not only become a better scholar and a more appreciative learner, but also a better classmate. From learning the true meaning of these words throughout the year I feel as if I did the best I could do this year.

Self Assessment:
1. One writing issue I am continuing to work on is that I think I could use more participles in my writing, to make my sentences longer.
2. A strong point I see in my writing, is that I believe that I am using very good FAST words, as well as alliteration, to enhance my writing.
3. One possible weak spot I see is that  some sentences are a bit awkward to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment